Wednesday, July 15, 2009

ON CREATIVITY

Although my birthday was last Friday, friends and I celebrated last night, as it was the first time we could all get together. After a sterling improv rehearsal, we all went out to dinner. It wasn't perfect - they were out of rice, which left my side dish as "taboulli" - to my credit, I tried it. (Verdict: hhurrghh!)

After dinner, we headed back to Chuck's house for presents and a movie. And I can say that without exception, my friends are ridiculously creative. To wit:

* A typewritten letter accompanying the book Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.

* A pre-order for Bioshock 2, with an "instruction manual" card with a lot of (intentional) grammatical errors - because they know how much I love correcting grammar!

* A Transformers card that used to say "To a great Dad," only it had been changed to "To a great Brad" with a marker.

* An amusing caricature of me, including full-frontal caricatured nudity.

* A "story card," complete with different-yet-similar amusing caricatures of me, telling the story of my birth

* An unflattering picture of me set in a matte backing as a motivational poster - with the caption as "eloquence" and the explanation being my final two lines before quitting my former improv group. "I'm resigning my board position effective immediately...I'll be at Dunkin' Donuts."

* A poster-sized print of a photo of me and my justafriend Casey, photoshopped with a giant heart outlining us and some soulful Boys II Men lyrics printed on it. Chuck thinks it's hilarious to make jokes about romantic involvement between me and (Sousa's girlfriend) Casey - I don't know if she thought the poster was funny, but I did.

After the gifts, we watched a very funny movie and then all peaced out. A great birthday celebration. Now, to hang this poster...

1 comment:

Dragon Beard said...

So if I stop by your office soon, I'll see that poster framed above the couch? haha

Happy Birthday again!