Wednesday, September 02, 2009

ON TREADING WATER

The last few weeks have been stressful. Nothing out of the ordinary, mostly work stuff. I feel like it's a struggle to keep my head above water during times like this, and this year was busier than most.

It was, however, an exception. Not because I didn't keep up with the numerous demands work placed on my life, but because I decided to raise the bar for myself. Instead of forgetting about extracurriculars, I continued with as much improv as possible. Instead of forgetting friends, I tried to make a point to catch up with people I hadn't heard from in a while. And instead of skipping the podcast, I skipped writing a blog entry for the past three weeks. In my defense, my moldy office was "fixed" yesterday.

I don't know why I went through this stressful time without a crutch of any kind. No stress eating, no crying jags, no extra medication. Part of me wanted to prove I could get through this on my own - except that part of me was wrong. It sucked. I would have loved to have eaten Snickers bars for dinner every night for the past three weeks. That crutch would have been both supportive and delicious. But no - I wanted to be Snickerless (I only lost .4 pounds over the past two weeks - surprising, considering I had several super-low-calorie days) for reasons I'm not entirely clear on.

But I made it. My building has moved in, I am caught up on work, and I am enjoing Ultra Violet Diet Mountain Dew. My head is above water, I'm clinging to a lifevest, and trying my best to swim away from the sinking ship that is "Budget Cuts." Now, to find an island with mysterious hatches...

No comments: