Friday, October 16, 2009

ON HOT CHOCOLATE

Obviously, I haven't blogged recently. I have been in a funk recently and didn't feel like writing every day "This is another reason why I hate everything." That's no fun. No one wants to read that. I waited for the funk to pass (as it did) and then was stuck with writer's block for another week (odd, since I haven't written anything else in two months). And now I'm stuck here, one paragraph in, and all the inspiration I felt this morning is dissipating.

I recently purchased a hundred-dollar coffeemaker. This is an out-of-character purchase, as I don't drink coffee. I bought it with the sole intention of making single-serve cups of hot chocolate. I reasoned that 77 cups of hot chocolate would save me the money I would be spending on Dunkin' Donuts Hot Chocolate. It's true. I did the math and everything.

For some reason or another, I apparently am dead-set on making that money back within the first two months, as I have been drinking hot chocolate like reindeer drink eggnog (which is to say...a lot, and often, and oddly enough, with antlers). I have been perfecting the mix of whipped cream, mug size, and temperature, but still...a lot of hot chocolate.

From a deliciousness standpoint, it's been great. From a financial standpoint, I have changed my behavior to justify this purchase. If I didn't have this appliance, I wouldn't be drinking as much of this toasty scrumptious beverage. I wouldn't drink 75 DD Hot Chocolates over the course of even three years - why am I trying to cram all this marshmallow-coated goodness in two months?

I hate justifying purchases like this, because once I start, I find it very difficult to STOP comparing price-versus-benefits. Several years ago, I analyzed the amount of time spent playing Halo 2 online, and the cost of my Xbox, the game, Xbox Live, etc. I then compared it to other games I had purchased and tried to figure out which game banged me for a buck the most.

That's how that expression goes, right?

I started reading a book on behavioral economics last night, and it's blowing my mind, so all of that is coming to the forefront of my mind again. I'll likely have a lot more to write about that subject in the future, but for now - hot chocolate. Back the matter at hand.

The fact is, this coffeemaker changed my life. If I ever have friends over who want coffee, I will be able to provide them with coffee in many different flavors and forms. I will be able to make myself 60-calorie cups of hot chocolate whenever I want, and share those with friends who don't like coffee, as I did yesterday. And really...can you put a price on the happiness of your friends? And, if so, is it cheaper than a Dunkin' Donuts Hot Chocolate?

[Not my most cohesive post, but I'm a little rusty. Bear with me.]

1 comment:

liz said...

what do you think joyce shotick would say about your purchase? :) crazy that i just wrote about consumer behavior as well. in all seriousness, send me the name of the book.